This presentation, given by local architectural historian Tim Barrett, illustrates the significance of the Episcopal Church of St John’s and it’s congregation on several levels. The evolution of the history of this church is directly tied to that of the City of Cleveland (Cleveland becomes a village in 1814 and St. John’s congregation traces its origins to 1816 only two years later). Built between 1836 and 1838, the church was under construction when in 1837 Victoria was crowned Queen of England. Over its more than 180 years of existence it has literally survived a devastating fire, lightning strikes and a major tornado – not to mention the ravages of the urban flight to the suburbs. Architecturally, it is one of the oldest standing examples of the Gothic Revival style in the country, and its connection to the Underground Railroad during the mid 19c all add to its national importance as Cleveland’s oldest standing house of worship.
The event is free but requires registration.
St John’s Episcopal Church